Max J. Cohen
Max J. Cohen has extensive experience in state and federal courts defending
insurers in coverage disputes; defending businesses and individuals in
personal injury, premises liability, products liability, and property
damage cases; and defending insurance agents and brokers, whose conduct
has been questioned.
In all cases handled by Mr. Cohen, he is especially careful to develop
a litigation plan that balances the desire for positive results with the
cost of litigation. In an effort manage defense costs, Mr. Cohen is willing
to discuss alternative billing arrangements, including flat fee agreements.
Mr. Cohen earned his undergraduate degree in 1983, with distinction, from
The University of Michigan, where he was a member of the Men’s Rowing
Team and a member of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. He graduated from Vanderbilt
University School of Law in 1986, where he was the Brief Editor of the
Moot Court Board and a member of the Jessup International Law Moot Court Team.
After graduation, Mr. Cohen moved to New Orleans to join one of the city’s
largest law firms. In June 1988, Mr. Cohen welcomed the opportunity to
join Lowe, Stein, Hoffman, Allweiss & Hauver, which was founded in
May 1987. Mr. Cohen has been a Partner at Lowe, Stein since 1994. Mr.
Cohen has been awarded an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell,
acknowledging that Mr. Cohen’s peers rank him at the highest level
of professional excellence, and Mr. Cohen has been named by Best Lawyers
in the Practice Area: Insurance Law.
Mr. Cohen is a member of the Louisiana State, Texas State, Federal, and
American Bar Associations, and is admitted to practice before all Louisiana
state and federal courts, all Texas state courts and the United States
District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the United States District
Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals,
Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
In 1989, Mr. Cohen wrote the respondent's brief in the case
Carden v. Arkoma Associates, 494 U.S. 185, 110 S.Ct. 1015, 108 L.Ed.2d 157 (1990).
Professional Associations and Speaking Engagements
- Member Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Member Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF)
- Member Defense Research Institute (DRI) Insurance Law Committee (ILC)
- Member DRI Insurance Law Committee (ILC) Steering Committee
- DRI Insurance Law Committee: Sub-Committee for Customized Industry Training
- DRI Complex Coverage Forum Program Chair (2021)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) – Speaker: “E&O
Liability Claims Against Insurance Agents and Brokers” (2017)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) Program Chair (2016)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) Program Vice-Chair (2015)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) – Speaker: “Ethical
Issues Related to Settlement of Claims” (2014)
- Canadian Defence Lawyers Symposium – Speaker: “The American
Perspective – The Regulations and Litigation that Emerged in the
Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (2014)
- DRI Catastrophe Cleanup: Regulatory and Legal Challenges After Hurricane
Sandy Webinar – Presenter: “Insurance Litigation in Post-Katrina
- Swiss Re / Big I Professional Liability – Presenter: “Avoiding
E&O Claims from Catastrophes Webinar – “Key Considerations
with Wind, Flood, and Pollution Coverages” (2011)