Max J. Cohen has extensive experience in state and federal courts defending insurers in coverage disputes; defending businesses and individuals in personal injury, premises liability, products liability, and property damage cases; and defending insurance agents and brokers, whose conduct has been questioned.
In all cases handled by Mr. Cohen, he is especially careful to develop a litigation plan that balances the desire for positive results with the cost of litigation. In an effort to manage defense costs, Mr. Cohen is willing to discuss alternative billing arrangements, including flat fee agreements.
Mr. Cohen earned his undergraduate degree in 1983, with distinction, from The University of Michigan, where he was a member of the Men’s Rowing Team and a member of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. He graduated from Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1986, where he was the Brief Editor of the Moot Court Board and a member of the Jessup International Law Moot Court Team.
After graduation, Mr. Cohen moved to New Orleans to join one of the city’s largest law firms. In June 1988, Mr. Cohen welcomed the opportunity to join Lowe, Stein, Hoffman, Allweiss & Hauver, which was founded in May 1987. Mr. Cohen has been a Partner at Lowe, Stein since 1994. Mr. Cohen has been awarded an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, acknowledging that Mr. Cohen’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence, and Mr. Cohen has been named by Best Lawyers in the Practice Area: Insurance Law.
Mr. Cohen is a member of the Louisiana State, Texas State, Federal, and American Bar Associations, and is admitted to practice before all Louisiana state and federal courts, all Texas state courts and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
In 1989, Mr. Cohen wrote the respondent's brief in the case Carden v. Arkoma Associates, 494 U.S. 185, 110 S.Ct. 1015, 108 L.Ed.2d 157 (1990).
Professional Associations and Speaking Engagements
- Member Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Member Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF)
- Member Defense Research Institute (DRI) Insurance Law Committee (ILC)
- Member DRI Insurance Law Committee (ILC) Steering Committee
- DRI Insurance Law Committee: Sub-Committee for Customized Industry Training – Co-Chair
- DRI Complex Coverage Forum Program Chair (2021)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) – Speaker: “E&O Liability Claims Against Insurance Agents and Brokers” (2017)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) Program Chair (2016)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) Program Vice-Chair (2015)
- DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (ICCI) – Speaker: “Ethical Issues Related to Settlement of Claims” (2014)
- Canadian Defence Lawyers Symposium – Speaker: “The American Perspective – The Regulations and Litigation that Emerged in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (2014)
- DRI Catastrophe Cleanup: Regulatory and Legal Challenges After Hurricane Sandy Webinar – Presenter: “Insurance Litigation in Post-Katrina Louisiana” (2013)
- Swiss Re / Big I Professional Liability – Presenter: “Avoiding E&O Claims from Catastrophes Webinar – “Key Considerations with Wind, Flood, and Pollution Coverages” (2011)