Melanie C. Lockett is a civil litigator and Family Law Specialist, certified by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization. Melanie enjoys a diverse litigation practice which includes family law, insurance coverage and defense, commercial litigation, and employment law. She is an experienced trial and appellate attorney.
Melanie is an active member of the local and national legal communities. Locally, Melanie served as Chair of the New Orleans Bar Association’s Minorities in the Law Committee. She is a member of the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, A.P. Tureaud Inn of Court, and the Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Legal Society. Melanie also served as Chair of the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization. Nationally, Melanie is an active member of the Defense Research Institute ( DRI ). She currently serves as Vice Chair of the Insurance Law Committee. She has served on DRI s Law Institute, as Chair of the DRI 2021 Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, and as a Steering Committee Member on DRI s Diversity Committee. Melanie is also a member of the American Bar Association and CLM.
Prior to joining the firm of Lowe Stein, LLC, Melanie practiced with Lowe, Stein, Hoffman, Allweiss, and Hauver, LLP for over 15 years. Melanie also served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. She received her J.D. on full scholarship from Loyola University School of Law. While in law school, she was an Oralist on the Pepperdine Entertainment Law Moot Court Team and member of the Public Interest Law Journal. Melanie received her M.F.A. from Tulane University on full scholarship, and her B.Mus. from Boston University on scholarship.
Before becoming an attorney, Melanie taught music in the New Orleans Public School system and Xavier University. She also performed locally with the New Orleans Opera, in St. Louis Cathedral, and in St. Maria Goretti Church.
Born and raised in New Orleans, Melanie is the second of six children. She is married to Shawn Lockett and together they have two beautiful children.
- Speaker, 2023 Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Society Midyear CLE Program
- “Family Law: Recent Updates”
- Speaker, Co-Presenter, 2022 Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute
- Third-Party Administrators - First Party Considerations
- Speaker, 2021 LSU The 25th Annual Family Law Conference
- Speaker, Co-Presenter, 2020 Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter
- Impacts of Social Movements in the Workplace
- Speaker, 2018 DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute
- In the Driver s Seat: Ethical and Strategic Considerations in the Deposition of the Claims Professional
- Speaker, 2018 LSBA Advanced Family Law Topics
- Recent Developments in Jurisprudence
- Panelist, 2017 DRI Appellate Advocacy Seminar
- The Role of Insurance on Appeal
- Speaker, 2016 New Orleans Bar Association
- Panelist, 2015 DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute
- The Secret to Success in Mediation: Proper Preparation.
- Panelist, 2015 LSBA Eighth Annual Conclave on Diversity in the Legal Profession
- The Changing Landscapes and Effects of Marriage Equality.
- Moderator, 2013 DRI Diversity for Success Seminar and Corporate Expo
- What Makes a Successful Cross-Gender/Cross-Racial Mentor/Mentee Relationship?
- Moderator, 2012 DRI Diversity for Success Seminar and Corporate Expo
- What s Happening to Women of Color in the Legal Profession?
- Navigating the Ethical Quagmire When A TPA Is Injected Into the Traditional Tripartite Relationship, DRI, 2022. Author
- Testimonial Privileges, LSU CLE, 2021. Author
- Strategically Defending the Deposition of the Claims Professional, DRI, 2018. Author
- Coverage B: Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium. Chapter 16: An Introduction to the Advertisement Infringement Offense and the Intellectual Property Exclusion. DRI, 2014.Co-Author
- Ethical Issues Relating to the Tripartite Relationship and Settlement of Claims Against Insureds DRI: Insurance Coverage and Claims Seminar, 2014. Co-Author
- Writing a Reservation of Rights: A North American Compendium. Louisiana Chapter. DRI,2013. Co-Author.
- Fact or Fiction: Patent Infringement Cannot Constitute an Advertising Injury Under a Commercial General Liability Policy? DRI: Covered Events, Issue 11, December 5, 2012.